Hey everybody! Sorry for the long delay. I’ve been in the whole moving process. It’s a little hard moving from one country to another. Anyway, on to something that’s near and dear to our hearts, the 2013 console wars!!!!! Soooooooooooo rumor has it (you have to sing it the way Adele does), that the new Xbox “Durango” and the PS4 “Orbis”. Runners up will be the Ouya.
Okay, from what I can tell. The new Xbox and the PS4 is pretty much the same console. If you’re one of the few people on the planet that have no idea of what the specs are, let me enlighten you with them. Both the new Xbox and PS4 will be sporting 8 core processors. Both will be able to fully support 1080p (and possibly up). Both have over 4 gigs of ram (Xbox boasting 8 gigs here). Now here’s where it starts to get a bit tricky. The Xbox is putting in what I can only describe as a second CPU. It’s not actually a CPU, but something called a Blitter. You can pretty much sum it up as something that makes fast CPU’s look not so fast. The PS4 was rumored to support 4K graphics, but now that seems to be on the ropes. Overall the specs are as follows:
- CPU: eight-core x64 power plant with each core clocked at 1.6GHz.
- RAM: 8GB
- GPU: an 800MHz with 12 shader cores,
- Drive: 50 GB 6x Blu-ray Disc drive,
- hard drive (size unknown),
- Internet Connection: Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi direct.
- System Memory: 8GB
- Video Memory: 2.2 GB
- CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 “Bulldozer” /eight-core “Jaguar”
- GPU: AMD R10xx
- Ports: 4x USB 3.0, 2x Ethernet
- Drive: Blu-Ray
- HDD: 160GB
- Audio Output: HDMI & Optical, 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1 channels
Now, here’s where the rumor mill starts to become very interesting. It has been whispered that the new Xbox will have to always be connected to the internet and will not allow the use of second hand games on a console. This was also said about the PS4 as well. GameStop has stated, “We know the desire to purchase a next-generation console would be significantly diminished if new consoles were to prohibit playing pre-owned games, limit portability or not play new physical games”, but there seems to be some pull to this. GameStop’s stock dropped 11.4% because of this and Microsoft seems to be very tight lipped about what is going on. The CEO of Sony America has already stated that he feels blocking second hand games would only ruin the console. However, the Tokyo branch of Sony has filed a patent that would kill second hand games. So right now that’s up in the air. Whoa right?
Now to the new underdog, Ouya. So the Ouya is supposed to be coming out sometime this year. It is priced at 99 dollars and they have it on pre-sale at Amazon. The specs for the Ouya are as follows:
- CPU: nVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-Core / Memory: 1GB RAM
- Dimensions: 75mm x 75mm x 82mm (2.9in x 2.9in x 3.2in) / Weight: 300g (10.5 oz)
- Storage: 8GB Internal Flash Storage (expandable via USB Port) / USB: One USB 2.0 port, One Micro USB port
- Connectivity: WiFi (802.11 b/g/n), Ethernet port, and Bluetooth / Output: HDMI (up to 1080p HD)
So, all I know is I’m totally getting one of these. It’s been described as nothing more as a glorified cell phone. Nonetheless, it already has a 27 game roster and that’s still with 4 months left before the console is set to come out. Side note, the approval process for the Ouya started this month. I’m curious as to how many games it will have upon release. It should be mentioned that the Ouya is not out to compete with the PS, Xbox and Wii.
So how does everyone feel about the looming console wars?